HCA, Hospital Corporation of America Chief Medical Officer (CMO) - Alaska Regional Hospital in Anchorage, Alaska
Alaska Regional Hospital
Anchorage, AK 99508
Size of Hospital: 250-beds
For more than 50 years Alaska Regional has been fulfilling the medical needs of Alaskans, continually improving the scope of services and skills available within the state. In 1994, Alaska Regional joined with HCA, giving Alaskans access to the advanced medical resources of one of the nation’s largest healthcare providers.
With more than 1,000 employees and a medical staff of over 550 independent practitioners, Alaska Regional offers a broad spectrum of health services to the community. The hospital is the designated Shriners clinic facility in Alaska, and free immunization clinics are held monthly for area schoolchildren. Other services include free prostate cancer screenings, health education seminars, community health fairs and support groups for cancer and stroke survivors. Alaska Regional is the only non-military hospital in the state with its own landing strip, allowing the hospital’s LifeFlight Air Ambulance to transport critical care patients from the plane directly the 24-hour Emergency Department. Alaska Regional even offers free valet parking to patients and visitors.
The hospital has consistently been accredited by The Joint Commission, the nation’s leading healthcare monitoring organization.
- Breast Care**
- Cancer Center**
- Cardiovascular and Cardiac Surgery**
- OBGYN and Pediatrics**
- Neonatal ICU**
- Stroke Center**
- Wound Care Center _ _ _Position Summary:_ _ _ The Facility Chief Medical Officer leads clinical and quality initiatives that support the provision of consistent clinical performance and practice standards across the hospital; facilitates the analysis of quality performance and prioritization improvement opportunities; provides senior level leadership to the infection control, risk management, safety, and medical staff credentialing functions ensuring the collaboration and coordination of all stakeholders in these processes; and consults on an array of issues involving physicians. _ _ _Major Responsibilities:_
- Promotes Physician Alignment between HCA-Affiliated Physicians and HCA Hospital and Corporate Leadership by:
- Leading clinical performance expectations that support the goals of consistent clinical performance and practice standards across the facility to ensure superior clinical outcomes and unparalleled patient experience.
- Working with Hospital Chief Medical Officers, Chief Executive Officers, Medical Staffs, and Boards of Directors, to improve the functionality and effectiveness of the hospital medical staff organization
- Partnering and collaborating with medical staffs and hospital management teams, facilitating teamwork and shared goals. Representing medical staff viewpoints to management and relaying management viewpoints to medical staff by establishing and maintaining mutually beneficial relationships between HCA leadership and community and/or employed physicians.
- Provides clinical support and consultation regarding cost effective clinical resource management in the facilities by sharing of reports and recommendations regarding how to reduce the variable cost per case while maintaining and enhancing clinical effectiveness.
- Creating an environment of quality and cost improvement that is data driven and develops systems to review utilization of resources and objectively measure outcomes of care in the inpatient and outpatient settings.
- Serving as a direct liaison between HCA affiliated physicians and facility, and corporate clinical services functions.
- Establishing and maintaining an ongoing program to orient and develop management expertise for Hospital Chiefs of Staff, Medical Executive Committees, and other medical staff leaders by providing oversight and leadership for all medical education programs.
- Leading educational sessions and providing ongoing in service to facility medical staff regarding clinical resource management, appropriate documents standards, utilization and quality issues, and quality improvement activities in collaboration with the chief of staff or other clinical leadership in the facility.
- Assembling regional physician advisory panels to provide ongoing feedback to HCA senior management and serves as a liaison between these committees and facility, and corporate leadership as well as to the affiliated physicians.
- Serving as spokesperson to HCA hospitals and affiliated physicians to explain and obtain buy in for, corporate, group, and facility, sponsored clinical initiatives.
- Collaborating on a day to day basis with other facility and corporate Chief Medical Officers.
- Educating physicians on HCA clinical technologies.
Collaborating with HPG and Supply Chain on formulary and supply opportunities. #LI-MD2
_Education & Experience:_
- Doctor of Medicine (MD) or Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (DO), Required
- Master's degree in business or related field, Preferred
- 10 years of experience in clinical practice, Preferred
- Experience as a CMO (or equivalent) in a large, complex hospital or regional health system, Required
- Additional education and coursework in management and business, Preferred _Licenses, Certifications, & Training:_
- Board Certified Physician, Required
- State medical board licensed, Required
Title: Chief Medical Officer (CMO) - Alaska Regional Hospital
Location: Alaska-Anchorage-Alaska Regional Hospital
Requisition ID: 10202-23740